Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pleiades

I had the most incredible few days last weekend with the most amazing friends. Brenda flew up from LA, and Heidi dug herself out of snowmageddon in Chicago to celebrate my 30th. On Saturday, the three of us, and four of my other close girlfriends, spent the day in Pacifica (one of my very favorite places in the world!). It was a magical day that started out with a photo shoot on the beach (of course!) and then a hike up to the top of the cliff overlooking the ocean. Then Jessica, who was hosting the celebration, lead us in a “letting go” ritual where we wrote down things we no longer wanted in our lives and burned them in a fire pit on the beach. Heidi then lead us in another ritual after reading the following excerpt to us from “The Pine Island Paradox” by Kathleen Dean Moore:

"But in this greening place of ashes and springs, I began to understand that time cannot move in a circle, coming again to where it was before. Time sweeps in spiral, going round and round again—the cycles of the seasons, the flow of the cold springs, the growth of a forest or a child, but never returns to the same place. And we who love this world will tremble with the beauty of the spiral that has brought us here and the mystery of the spiral that will carry us away."

With our feet, we each created a section of a huge spiral in the sand. At the end, the sun was setting and I stood in the center of the spiral looking around at all these amazing women looking back at me. They all have known me throughout so many cycles of my life and watched me change, grow, and then return to a different place, just like Moore describes. And I have seen them do the same.



After the beach rituals, we went to Jessica’s house. Some of us cooked a scrumptious dinner of broccoli and spinach quiche, quinoa, and salad while the rest of us helped by dancing to Prince, Missy Elliott and MIA. While we ate, I talked about what I was grateful for, including why I was thankful for each one of them. Then we participated in one last ritual that Jessica led, planting our intentions for the future.

Finally, it was time for the hot tub! While the seven of us soaked in our birthday suits, I looked up at the starry sky, pointed to the first cluster that I saw, and asked what constellation it was. Tessa exclaimed, "It's Pleiades! Also, known as the Seven Sisters!" I've never had an interest in constellations before. I have no idea what lead me to ask that question. Oh, universe!

I was hoping that the day would not just be about my birthday, but a time where my friends could reflect on their own goals, gratitude, and intentions while also bonding and getting to know each other on a deeper level. Meghan said at one point, "I've experienced more relationship building with you guys in the last seven hours than I have with other friends over several years!"

The day was bigger than me, and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment